Application technology high frequency (above 20kHz), hardware structure integration modular (monolithic integrated module, hybrid integrated module), software control digitization and green product performance (no electromagnetic interference and no pollution to the power grid) is the current power electronics new technology The four major development directions of products. 
Development trend of power electronic devices
High frequency, integration, standard modularization and intelligence are the main development directions of power electronic devices in the future.
(1) With the continuous development of the application of power electronics technology, the requirements for the performance indicators and reliability of power electronic devices are increasingly demanding. Specifically, power electronics are required to have greater current density, higher operating temperature, greater heat dissipation, higher operating voltage, lower on-state voltage drop, faster switching time, and space And military applications, also require stronger radiation resistance and vibration and shock resistance. Especially in aerospace, aviation, ship, power transmission and transformation, locomotives, armored vehicles and other applications with harsh conditions, the above requirements are more urgent.
(2) In the next few years, although bipolar power devices and field-controlled power devices with silicon as semiconductor materials have matured, the introduction of various new structures and new processes can further improve and improve their performance. Coolmos, various improved IGBTs and IGCTs are quite viable and competitive.
(3) The intelligent application of power electronic devices has also achieved substantial results in continuous research. Some foreign manufacturing companies have developed corresponding IPM intelligent power modules with simple structure, complete functions, high operational reliability, and self-diagnosis and protection.
(4) New high-frequency devices Silicon carbide and GaN devices are rapidly developing, and some devices are expected to be commercialized in the near future. CREE, based in North Carolina, USA, has commercialized SiC diodes and MOSFETs . However, due to problems in materials and manufacturing processes, a large amount of research investment and time is required to solve the problem gradually. The technology is being studied by the FREEDM Center at North Carolina State University .
Trends in power electronics and systems
Due to the requirements of environment, energy, society and high efficiency, power electronic equipment and systems are developing towards high-frequency, intelligent, all-digital control, systematization and greenization of application technologies.
(1) In the future, power electronic equipment and systems with various power semiconductor devices as the main power devices will compete and develop together. Thyristors and their derivatives will still be monopolized in the field of extra power.
(2) Rectifiers and inverters with IGBT as the main power device can improve efficiency, reduce noise, reduce equipment weight and reduce volume, and will be widely used in industry (motor frequency conversion, electric welding machine, industrial heating, electroplating power supply, storage) Energy equipment, etc., household appliances (induction cooker, commercial induction cooker, inverter air conditioner, inverter refrigerator, etc.) and new energy sources (wind power generation, photovoltaic power generation, electric vehicles, etc.).
(3) Power electronics and systems with IGCT as the main power device will likely gradually replace thyristors.
(4) Power electronics and systems with MOSFETs as the main power devices will play a huge role in the middle and low power fields.
(5) Resonant converter technology will be widely used, and new control technologies and means will be applied in power electronic equipment and systems, and further improve the performance and grade of power electronic equipment and systems.
(6) Breakthroughs will be made in the electromagnetic interference (EMI) control in power electronic equipment and systems, shaft current and shaft voltage in PWM transmission systems.
(7) Future applications of power electronic equipment and systems are: variable frequency speed regulation, smart grid, automotive electronics, information and office automation, household special power, traction special power, new energy, solar energy, wind energy and fuel power.